By Lippy – "The TEQUILA WHISPERER"
On my live, weekly "Tequila Whisperer" webcast (http://tequilawhisperer.com
) we're always sampling new brands and ages of tequila. I've found that it's very important to properly prepare your mouth and nose in order to receive the full offering of a particular tequila's flavor and aroma profiles. You will be happily surprised at how many additional flavors and scents you'll be able to discern simply by preparing your mouth with a few simple exercises.
So let's get to tasting!
- 1. Since 65% of any discernable taste involves smell, a proper tequila tasting begins with preparing your nose. Hold the glass or drinking vessel up close to the nose and while keeping your mouth slightly open, inhale slow and deep. You should be able to discern some vegetal notes, some sweet notes, perhaps a trace of acetone and of course a bit of alcohol.
- 2. Now hold the tequila glass up to your CLOSED and pursed lips and just let the juice wash over the lips for 5 to 10 seconds. Allow the tequila to dry on your lips WITHOUT licking them. What do you sense? Have your lips started to pucker? Is there a pleasing alcohol burn? Is there a numbness, or "lip-buzz"?
- 3. Next take a very small amount of the tequila into your mouth and, using the tongue, force it between your gums and teeth on both the upper and lower jaw. Hold it there for about 10 seconds, and then gently swallow. You are actively "washing" your palate with a small amount of tequila!
- 4. Take another small amount of tequila into your mouth and hold it on the back-most part of your tongue for 5 seconds. Next rock your head back and allow the tequila to dribble down the back of the tongue and into your throat. Do you feel the way the flavor has just "blossomed" in your palate cavity? This is why you should never "shoot" gourmet tequila! Think about all of the wonderful flavor you would be missing.
- 5. Finally, do the above exercise once more, but this time hold the tequila on the flat, middle-top of the tongue and raise the tongue to gently "scrape" the roof of the mouth. Then rock your head back once more and slowly swallow. Another flavor bloom!
Congratulations! You have now successfully prepared your nose and palate to receive the full offerings of tequila's bountiful gifts.
I envy you. I remember the first time these techniques were explained to me by an experienced "Tequillero" and I was amazed at the amount of flavor and sensation that I was receiving from even a very small amount of 100% agave tequila. My best wishes on your journey of gourmet tequila tasting. May it open your eyes and mind to tequila's magical properties of vision and inspiration.